Belfast Rapid Transit
Belfast Rapid Transit will help realise the vision for public transport as a customer-focused, high quality, sustainable & integrated system
The Department for Infrastructure (previously DRD) Belfast Rapid Transit (BRT) system will offer a high quality service providing people with better access to jobs, hospitals, shops, schools, colleges, and entertainment. It will help realise the vision for public transport as a customer-focused, high quality, sustainable and integrated system; providing good value for money; enhancing competiveness and helping to sustain economic growth and promote regional development and social inclusion.
The BRT system will use high quality rapid transit vehicles which will provide a modern, comfortable environment for passengers in terms of space, security and on-board information.
High quality halts will be incorporated with easy access to vehicles, real time information systems for easier journey planning and off-vehicle ticketing to speed up the boarding process. The speed, reliability and comfort of the BRT services will provide an attractive alternative to private car use.
BRT is currently at the procurement and construction stages:
- Following detailed design phase, implementation of the project started in 2014:
- new Dundonald Park & Ride facility became operational in December 2014;
- work is progressing on route infrastructure in both East and West Belfast;
- procurement process for the fleet of BRT vehicles has started;
- an operations plan is currently being developed
Supporting the Department for Infrastructure, SIB has provided a Project Director for the BRT project.