Developing a strategic policy options framework for the Circular Economy (CE) in Northern Ireland
A Circular Economy is an alternative to a traditional linear economy (take, make, use, dispose) in which we keep resources in use for as long as possible, extract the maximum value from them whilst in use, then recover and regenerate products and materials at the end of each service life. The Circular Economy will complement and support the NI Executive’s Programme for Government, focusing on innovation, investment and inclusive growth with measurable outcomes whilst promoting NI as a best practice example on a global stage working to meet UN Sustainable Developments Goals and contribute to climate change mitigation.
The purpose of the project is to develop a strategic policy options framework for the Circular Economy (CE) in Northern Ireland. The sponsoring Department is DfE who had set an action in the draft Industrial Strategy to work with DAERA to develop a Circular Economy Strategy for NI. The project was initiated in October 2019 with the following aims:
- Increased collaboration and partnership working amongst CE stakeholders
- More joined-up activity between Government Departments, local government and the private sector on CE issues
- Enhanced understanding of the Northern Ireland CE ecosystem
- A clear vision and ambition set out in the framework to inform a future CE Strategy
- A stronger evidence base to support the challenges and opportunities for CE in Northern Ireland
- A central repository for CE activities to provide information and advice.
A Project Initiation Document (PID) was approved in January 2020 and governance arrangements have been established, including a Project Team, a Cross Departmental Steering Group to provide direction and proposals to set up a Circular Economy Advisory Panel. The project will take 24 months from inception. Good progress has been made in relation to developing a Concepts document, which will over time inform a Call for Evidence document.
SIB has been engaged by DfE to provide Strategic advice and project support. A Project Officer was appointed in March 2020.
For further information contact:
Alan McVicker, Strategic Adviser email@example.com
Heidi Clarke, Project Officer Heidi.Clarke@sibni.org